My Cuticle Oil and its inception...

In response to a follower’s question about my cuticle oil, I decided to go into detail.  A little over 13 months ago I set out on a Healthy Hair Journey.  While on my journey, I did much research on natural and essential oils and their benefits to hair.  As it turned out, just as they benefit my hair, Natural and Essential Oils also provide great benefits for both my skin and nails.  So because I absolutely despise dry skin, especially my hands and knowing the benefits of moisturizing my hands and cuticles, I decided to develop my own cuticle oil. 

Based on my hair research findings, I knew that my cuticle oil would be based on Jojoba Oil (pronounced “Ho-Ho-Ba”) and Vitamin E to nourish and hydrate my cuticles and nails.  Jojoba Oil has antimicrobial properties, which means it actually discourages the growth of some bacterial and fungal microbes that attack the skin. In addition, the chemical composition of Jojoba Oil closely resembles that of the skin’s natural sebum, so it is easily absorbed and rarely causes allergic reactions, even in the most sensitive individuals.   In addition, Jojoba oil contains many important nutrients, such as vitamin E, and B complex vitamins.   Jojoba oil helps to nourish the skin and helps to prevent hang nails and also strengthens the nails    Jojoba Oil also helps to avoid chipping and breaking, while it nourishes your cuticles and help maintain them.

So as I set out to develop my cuticle oil, I decided it would also include the following:

  • Vitamin E Oil:     When applied topically, vitamin E oil penetrates the deeper skin layers and moisturizes it.  It can also be used for treating dry and cracked cuticles.
  • Sweet Almond OiL:Contains several essential vitamins such as vitamin A, B1, B2, B6 and E, which makes it very useful for treating skin conditions.  All these vitamins rejuvenate the skin. (NOTE: Not to be used by those with nut allergies.)
  • Lavender & Rosemary Oils:   Both help to stimulate blood circulation in the nailbed and encourages nail growth.
  • Lemon Oil:        Has anti-septic, astringent and bacteria fighting properties.  You need a healthy nailbed to encourage nail growth.
  • Lemongrass Oil:      Helps as a strengthener for brittle nails. New discovery: (yet to add to my mixture)
There are a myriad of benefits to natural and essential oils.  Please take some time and research the many different oils.  http://www.buzzle.com/articles/essential-oils/

My current cuticle oil is a mixture of Jojoba Oil (3 parts), Sweet Almond Oil (1 part), Vitamin E (1 part), and essential oils (lemon, lavender, & rosemary)-approximately 3-5 drops per (Adjust based on your preference-too much can be overpowering).

One thing I learned on my Healthy Hair Journey is to try new things.  I am not “married” to any one process.  During my research for my cuticle oil, I came across many recipes for hand and nail treatments that each sound promising.  I may try anyone of them in the future.  I included one of the website I encountered for your own consideration.


(Note:  This is what works for me.  Consult your physician and/or do your own research if you are unsure of the effects of any of these oils; as some essential oils may cause allergic reactions.  Remember, Everything in moderation!!!)

Hope you find benefit in some bit of this information. 

Side Note: My Hair Journey resulted in my hair growing thicker and from ear length to past my shoulders in 12 months.

Grace and Peace.

3 comments

  1. Great Post. This is so informative and will definitely look into getting this as my nails really need this kind of treatment.

    ReplyDelete

***Please Read Before Commenting***
Thanks for visiting and reading my blog. I appreciate your constructive comments and suggestions. However, I must insist on NO spamming links. If you do, I must delete your comment. Don't worry, I will be able to follow you, when you comment, your name is clickable and that link itself takes me to your profile on blogger. If you would like for me to visit your blog, simply email me and I will be sure to visit. Again, I always appreciate hearing from my followers and visitors. Grace, Peace, Joy, and Blessings.