BURRRR!!! Time to Winterize your Mani/Pedi!!!

The leaves are changing. The Temperatures are dropping. We’re starting to pull out the sweaters, jackets, coats, gloves, and boots. You’re probably starting to see a change in your skin. While we are much more attentive to our hair and facial skin, we often overlook our hands and feet. 
It’s time to “Winterize” our mani/pedi regimen.  Our hands and feet tend to get extra dry during the colder months. Some of the culprits are forced heat and fireplaces that dry out the air and skin, the increased hand washing and use of alcohol-laden hand sanitizers during the cold and flu season.  Moisture is key to preventing dry, flaky skin.
Here are a few suggestions to help “Winterize” you hands and feet.
  • Use warm water instead of hot. Hot water strips the body of its natural oils. The more oil removed, the drier the skin.
  • Use a mild, moisturizing cleanser. Many of the soaps and cleansers contain alcohol and are also striping the body of its natural oils.  One line of cleansing products that I like are the Bed & Body Works, Anti-Bacterial, Moisturizing Hand Soaps.
  • Exfoliate your hands and feet. Dry skin, flaky skin acts as a barrier and prevents the moisturizing products from doing their job. So exfoliating your hands and feet helps to remove the layers of dry, dead skin leaving behind soft, supple, radiant skin. And allows the moisturizing products the ability to get the job done. There are several drug store brand scrubs and exfoliants, as well as several recipes for Do-It-Yourself scrubs and exfoliants. Two of my favorites prepared scrubs are Philosophy Hot Salt Scrubs, and Tree Hut Shea Sugar Scrubs.  One of my favorite websites for Natural DIY recipes can be found at Natural Nail Care Recipes
  • Moisturize nails and cuticles throughout the day. I have been beating the moisturize drum since the beginning of my blog and long before then. I moisturize my nails and cuticles every morning before I shower. My reasoning is that I believe that nails are like sponges; they can only absorb but so much liquid. I prefer they absorb the benefits of cuticle oil over water.  I also moisturize throughout the day, especially after washing my hands.  Also pushing back my cuticles during this process. Lastly, I moisturize before bed. I use a cuticle oil and a hand cream: Gold Bond Ultimate Softening Skin Therapy Lotion with Shea Butter with Shea Butter or my own Whipped Shea Butter mix.
  • We must not forget our footsies.  During the colder months, our feet are probably the most overlooked part of our body.  Just like our hands, our feet are quick to show signs of dryness and the need for extra care. Every night, before I go to bed, I apply Vaseline Cocoa Butter Petroleum Jelly or Palmer’s Foot Magic.
  • There are times when I may feel the need for an extreme moisturizing treatment. It is then that I may go that extra step and do an extreme overnight treatment.
    • For Hands: I apply a cuticle balm to my cuticles and slather on my cuticle oil mix, and a hand cream or body butter. And sleep in moisturizing gloves (found at most Beauty Supply Stores).
    • For Feet: Before showering, I use my Ped-Egg to remove the dry, flaky skin. Once out of the shower, I apply my cuticle oil mix and a Vaseline Cocoa Butter Petroleum Jelly or Palmer’s Foot Magic.  I then sleep in moisturizing socks.
  • Some people also suggest using a humidifier to restore moisture to the air. While I don’t do this, whatever works for you.
So my Moisture Mavens, don't forget to keep you hands and feet moisturized, especially during these colder months. Your fingers and toes will show their appreciation.

Grace, Peace, and Blessings.

No comments

***Please Read Before Commenting***
Thanks for visiting and reading my blog. I appreciate your constructive comments and suggestions. However, I must insist on NO spamming links. If you do, I must delete your comment. Don't worry, I will be able to follow you, when you comment, your name is clickable and that link itself takes me to your profile on blogger. If you would like for me to visit your blog, simply email me and I will be sure to visit. Again, I always appreciate hearing from my followers and visitors. Grace, Peace, Joy, and Blessings.